From the Shibboleth homepage:
"Shibboleth is standards-based, open source middleware software which provides web single sign-on across or within organizational boundaries. It allows sites to make informed authorization decisions for individual access of protected online resources in a privacy-preserving manner."
At UMBC, we are working to make Shibboleth our default method for web single sign-on, replacing WebAuth.
Resources for web developers
Resources for server admins
- Overview of Shibboleth Cluster
- A web site that wants to support Shibboleth needs to run a Shibboleth Service Provider (SP), which includes a Shibboleth daemon (
shibd) and a Shibboleth Apache module (
mod_shib) or a Shibboleth ISAPI extension for IIS.
- Building and Installing a Shibboleth SP on Solaris
- Configuring and Testing a New Shibboleth SP
- Deploying Shibboleth on a New Web Server
- Configuring Shibboleth session timeouts