Download the App
- On your mobile device, head to the appropriate App Store
- Download and install the Application
- For technical assistance downloading the app please call the help desk at 410-455-3838 or visit https://rt.umbc.eduto enter a help request.
Open and Register the App
Once you have received your individual (unique) email with QR code and Register Button.
This registration email would have been sent in early January. You will only need to register once.
You can search for the email by pasting the following into your search mail bar:
IF you did not receive this e-mail, please follow the instructions here: I did not receive my registration e-mail from Maryland Genomics
- Open the MG Scanner App on your phone:
- Scroll and read the Consent Agreement and click the green "I agree" button at the bottom:
- Click the register box on the home page of the app:
- Once you get to the registration page, click the camera icon to scan the QR code that came in your e-mail:
- Your device may require you to allow use of the camera, click OK to allow:
At this point, you can either simply click the red "Register" button from within the e-mail -OR- use another device to display the unique QR code while scanning from your phone:
This QR code is unique to you individually. Do not forward this e-mail or share it with other individuals. If you have not received your e-mail, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you receive an "Internal Server error." message, this code is invalid and you will also need to reach out to email@example.com.
- Congratulations, now that registration is completed once, you are now ready to scan your first self-swab sample!
Video of Instructions to download and register App
Which barcode do I scan for my vial sample collection
|Barcode Number - YES||QR Code - NO|
I did not receive my registration e-mail from Maryland Genomics
- Please check your myUMBC profile page to ensure that you are approved to be on campus.
- If you have confirmed that you are approved to be on-campus, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and Campus ID
Where to check your results
Common Error messages
|Message or issue||Appropriate Action|
|Device not registered||Please follow the instructions above to register your device. If you are unable to register due to not having a registration e-mail, please follow these instructions to receive a new registration e-mail.|
|"The Specimen ID was not found in the system. Please request a different specimen collection tube."||This invariably means that you scanned the QR code on the tube, rather than the barcode. Please try scanning the correct barcode on the tube.|
|Any other issue||If you are unable to scan for any other reason, please send an e-mail when you are doing your sample collection to email@example.com so that we may assist you with troubleshooting.|