REMEMBER: Once a test has been started with Respondus LockDown Browser, you cannot exit until the Submit button is clicked.
NOTE: You cannot use Respondus Monitor on a tablet or smartphone. There is a mobile app, but your instructor must configure the test to allow its use. Err on the side of caution and take your test on a desktop or laptop, preferably with a wired connection.
You may be required to use LockDown Browser with a webcam, which will record you during an online, non-proctored exam. (The webcam feature is sometimes referred to as “Respondus Monitor.”)
Your computer must have a functioning webcam and microphone. Mac users must have Adobe Flash Player installed to Safari, even if a different browser is normally used. A broadband connection is also required.
If an exam requires LockDown Browser and a webcam, follow steps 1-5 in the previous “Taking A Test” section. At this point, the Startup Sequence for the webcam begins.
- The Webcam Check will confirm that your webcam and microphone are working properly.
TIP: If you encounter a problem, select the It’s not working link for troubleshooting tips.
- The remaining steps of the Startup Sequence will depend on settings chosen by your instructor. Follow the instructions and note your progress along the top of the screen.
The test will begin after the Startup Sequence is complete. You cannot exit LockDown Browser until the test is submitted for grading.
NOTE: You cannot use Respondus Monitor on a tablet or smartphone.
Test Taking Tips
Finally, when taking an online exam, follow these guidelines:
- Ensure you're in a location where you won't be interrupted.
- Turn off all mobile devices, phones, etc.
- Clear your desk of all external materials — books, papers, other computers, or devices.
- Remain at your desk or workstation for the duration of the test.
- Take your time navigating through the questions. Clicking too fast may lock up your test.
- If possible, use a wired connection rather than wi-fi.
LockDown Browser will prevent you from accessing other websites or applications; you will be unable to exit the test until all questions are completed and submitted.
If you do need to exit the exam before submitting it, for example in case of an emergency or internet failure, you are required to enter a reason for exiting the exam early. (Instructors can then view this within the LockDown Browser dashboard.)
Download Respondus Lockdown Browser
Respondus LockDown Browser uses a standard Windows or Mac installer that can be downloaded by faculty or students from the following link.
NOTE: This link is unique for UMBC. It cannot be used by non-UMBC students or for another Blackboard or LMS outside of our campus.