- Use the UMBC VPN service to access network resources that normally require on-campus access, even if you're away from campus.
- When you are connected to the VPN service, all communication with UMBC campus network resources is sent through the VPN, over a secure encrypted connection.
- With a few exceptions, only traffic to the UMBC network goes through the VPN connection. Access to outside websites goes over your regular internet connection.
- If you just want to access a web page that requires on-campus access (journals, etc.), you don't have to use the VPN client software; you can browse to the page via the VPN web page.
To begin, visit https://gpvpn.umbc.edu/ and sign in with your UMBC username/password when prompted. You should see the main VPN page:
Downloading the Client Software:
These instructions are for downloading the software on Windows or macOS. For iOS or Android devices, you can download client software from the iOS App Store and Google Play Store, respectively. Upon installing the software, enter gpvpn.umbc.edu when prompted for a portal address. You should then be able to sign in with your UMBC username/password, and use the mobile app to connect/disconnect. For more detailed instructions, see
Download the GlobalProtect App from the Chrome Store and click Add to Chrome. Follow the prompts to install it. Then,
- Click on the GlobalProtect icon in the Launcher.
- When prompted for the Portal address, enter gpvpn.umbc.edu . Click Add Connection.
- Click on the status area in the bottom-right corner of the screen to pop up a menu.
- Select VPN Disconnected, then click on the entry for gpvpn.umbc.edu.
- When prompted, enter your UMBC username/password to connect.
The VPN client software will let you connect to on-campus network resources, via web browsers, SSH, or other software. To start, click Download VPN Client Software on the VPN page:
You can then choose to download the macOS or Windows client software. For the Windows version, you will need to download either the 32-bit or 64-bit version, depending on whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows.
After downloading the software, you will need to install it:
- For Windows, double-click the GlobalProtect32.msi or GlobalProtect64.msi file in your downloads folder. Follow the steps of the Setup Wizard, and click Yes when asked whether you want the app to make changes to your computer.
- For macOS, double-click the GlobalProtect.pkg file in your downloads folder. Depending on your security settings, you may need to click to confirm opening the downloaded file. Follow the steps of the installer, and enter your local Mac's username/password when prompted.
If you are using macOS Catalina (10.15), you may see an alert that the software requests access to your Documents, Downloads, and Desktop folders. You can either choose to permit or deny this, and the software should work regardless.
macOS Security Note
On recent versions of macOS (10.13+), you may see a message after installation that the system extension was blocked. To enable it, follow these steps:
- From your Mac endpoint, launch System Preferences.
- Open the Security & Privacy preferences and then select General.
- Click the lock icon on the bottom left of the window to make changes and modify preferences.
- When prompted, enter your Mac User Name and Password and then Unlock the preferences.
- Click "Allow" next to the message "System software from developer "Palo Alto Networks" was blocked from loading."
macOS Security Note
In macOS Ventura, you may need to toggle on the Global Protect app under the system setting> under the "Privacy & security" tab> full disk access before being able to see the Global Protect app under Files and Folders.
Once the software is installed, launch the Global Protect application. Once launched, you will find a globe icon in your taskbar (Windows) or menu bar (Mac). Click it, and it will prompt you to enter a portal address. Enter gpvpn.umbc.edu :
Click Connect, and you'll be prompted to enter your UMBC username/password. (If your account has Duo second-factor authentication enabled, you will be prompted for this as well.) After this, you should be connected.
The GlobalProtect client software can be accessed from the menu bar on macOS, or from the system tray in Windows. Its icon is a small globe, with a shield overlay on top of it when you are connected. You can use this icon to connect/disconnect.
Accessing Web Pages Without Client Software:
If you just need to access a web page that requires on-campus access, click "Browse without Client Software" on the VPN page to open a URL entry box:
At this point you can enter the desired website URL for the site you want to visit in the box and click Go: