The SAS installation may differ from what is presented in the instructions below depending on what SAS products you select during the installation process.
- The SAS 9.4 installation is very long and may take an hour or more to complete. First, make sure you close any work or programs you may have open (also, make sure you don't have any pending or running Windows updates). Check the system requirements (or here on the SAS web site) for SAS Version 9.4 for Windows to make sure your computer is compatible with SAS 9.4.
- After downloading the SAS_9.4_Software_Depot zip file, right-click it and select Extract All to unzip it. NOTE: If it fails to unzip, you may not have enough hard drive space and you may need to free up more space.
- WARNING - If this step is completed incorrectly, the installer won't be able to successfully license SAS later in step 12: Open the extracted SAS Depot and make sure the most current license file available is in the sid_files folder in the SAS Depot (you can delete any existing license files that may be there). To ensure you have the latest license file, download the appropriate license file for the version of SAS 9.4 you are trying to install from the UMBC SAS downloads website by right-clicking on the license file link, select "Save Link As..." and then save it to the sid_files folder in the SAS Depot. Once that is done, double-click on setup.exe to begin installing SAS.
- SAS Deployment Wizard will start, which may take some time to load.
- Select your language and then click OK.
- Select Install SAS Software and click Next to proceed.
- Click Next to install SAS in the default directory.
- Select Install Additional Software and click then Next to proceed.
- Select SAS Enterprise Guide, SAS Foundation, SAS Foundation Services. In addition, you can select other products you want to install. Once you have made your selections, click Next to proceed.
- If you are installing SAS on a 64-bit version of Windows, unless you need 32-bit compatibility for some reason, select 64-bit Native Mode for the next two windows (SAS Foundation and SAS Enterprise Guide). If you don't know if you have a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows, this guide will show you how.
11. Click Next to proceed.
12. Click Next to proceed. NOTE: If you receive an error and can't proceed, it is because an incorrect or expired license file is in the SAS Depot. If that is the case, please refer back to the instructions in step 3 on how to place the latest license file into the sid_files folder of the SAS Depot. Once that is done, you may proceed with this step.
13. If you only want English, click Clear All and then click Next (English is already pre-selected). Otherwise, select any additional languages you want and then click Next (NOTE: The more languages you select, the longer the installation will take to complete).
14. Click Next to proceed.
15. Select SAS Foundation (64-bit) and then click Next.
16. Keep the default Host Name and Port Number values and click Next to proceed.
17. You may or may not see this screen. If you do, Click Next to proceed.
18. SAS will proceed with a system check, which may take some time to complete.
19. Click Next to proceed.
20. Click Start to begin installing SAS.
21. The SAS installation may take some time to complete.
22. Click Next to proceed.
23. Select Do Not Send and then click Next to proceed.
24. Click Finish to complete the SAS installation.