Learn to switch from Sites "Classic" to the New UMBC Sites Theme in 10 easy steps!
Step 1: Log into your website dashboard
Log in to edit your Sites@UMBC website.
Learn how to log into your Sites@UMBC website dashboard at this help article.
Step 2: Find the Themes submenu
From your Sites@UMBC website dashboard, find the Appearance menu item on the left side of the screen, and click Themes from the submenu.
Step 3: Activate new theme
Hover over The New UMBC Theme and click Activate, and your new theme will be applied to your development website. (See example screenshot below)
The message “New theme activated. Visit site” will appear.
Theme Activation confirmation message
Example of activating new theme
Step 4: View theme options
Click on the Options menu under Appearance to access the new administration experience.
Step 5: Add location information (optional)
Add your location information on the first tab and save changes.
Users may leverage up to two address lines.
The suggested format is:
Building Name / Location Name
Floor / Office or Suite Number
Note: If you do not enter any location information, this section will not be shown.
Example of the location admin screen within theme options
Step 6: Add office hours (optional)
Add your office hours on the second tab and save changes.
Users may select from these office hour display options:
- Use the pre-built hour option to control open and closing times each day; or
- Use the override that can be customized for setting hours that are more complicated, or that change during summer (this replaces option a, it does not add to it)
- Do not display hours at all
Note: If you uncheck "Display hours on page", this section will not be shown.
Example of the office hours admin screen within theme options
Step 7: Add contact information
Add your contact information on the fourth tab and save changes.
Users may leverage options for showing:
- phone and fax numbers
- an email address OR a contact page
- links for myUMBC, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn
Example of contact information admin screen within theme options
Step 8: Configure your homepage
From the homepage tab in the options section configure the following items:
- Tell us what page has your homepage content (select that page from the dropdown list)
- Do you want to display the title of your homepage on the page itself?
- Add a slideshow to your homepage (optional)
- Slides can be added from the WordPress menu → Slideshow
- Add a COVID-19 Message (optional)
- Add news and events feeds to show up in the sidebar (optional)
- Save your changes.
Example of Homepage admin screen within theme options
Step 9: Theme color
Select a website theme color on the final tab and save changes.
Users may select from:
Step 10: Evaluate your website
Now you should view your website in the new theme, so type in the URL in a new tab or browser window.
A few questions to consider:
- How does your homepage look?
- How about your menu?
- Does your new sidebar with location, hours, contact information display as you expected?
- How do your interior pages look?
- Do you have any custom-built pages or pages with additional CSS? They may need to be re-built.
Revert Your Theme back to Sites Classic
- From the Wordpress dashboard, head back to the Appearance menu item on the left side of the screen, and click Themes from the submenu
- Hover over UMBC Theme and click Activate, and the Sites Classic theme will be applied to your development website.