VoiceThread is a collaborative, asynchronous tool that acts like a video conference over time (not at the same time) or a discussion board that allows you to hear and see others, not just read what they write. All participants can navigate at their own pace and leave comments about any added content (e.g., images, documents, and videos) via microphone, webcam, telephone, text or even another uploaded file. Users can annotate on the screen while commenting, and pick which comments are shown through moderation. VoiceThreads can even be embedded to show and receive comments on other websites and exported to MP3 players or DVDs to play as archival movies.
With VoiceThread, faculty and students can:
- Demonstrate procedures to help students prepare for a practical exam.
- Explain decisions when selecting subjects for a painting’s composition.
- Flip a classroom experience to support multiple learning styles.
- Foster greater community in large, lecture-based classes.
- Interpret linear composition of a painting or note other elements.
- Debate the pros and cons of a controversial issue.
- Practice foreign language skills during role-play.
- Report on field experiences to a national park.
- Critique a classmate’s composition.
Getting Started with VoiceThread:
VoiceThread for Instructors:
VoiceThread for Students:
VoiceThread for Conferences and Institutional Presentations:
Troubleshooting and System Requirements
Trouble accessing VoiceThread?
VoiceThread recommends that you clear your browser's cache.
VoiceThread will work in any modern web browser and on almost any internet connection.
- Download the Chrome extension.
- Use VoiceThread on the iPad or iPhone.
- Create, view & assign VoiceThreads in Blackboard: Students and instructors are enrolled in their courses automatically.
Additional Documentation from VoiceThread ↗︎
- View tutorials from VoiceThread. ↗︎
- Creating a new VoiceThread
- Number of slides a VoiceThread can contain
- Adding a title, description, and tags
- Uploading files from your computer
- Importing media from other VoiceThreads
- Editing an existing VoiceThread
- Copying a VoiceThread
- Deleting a VoiceThread
- Allowing someone else to edit your VoiceThread
- More on creating ↗︎
- How to comment
- # of comments per slide | limits for comments
- Direct reply to a comment vs. Private reply to a comment
- Threaded commenting vs. Multi-slide (M/5) comments
- Using Comment Moderation
- More on commenting ↗︎