LIBRARY STUDY ROOMS
There are three types of study rooms in the library:
- Faculty Study Rooms (available to current UMBC faculty. Emeritus faculty, visiting faculty and researchers must be sponsored by a UMBC faculty member or the Library Director to be assigned a room.)
- Faculty Study Room numbers are 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 231, 232, 356, 357, 358, 361, 362, 459, 460, 461, 464, 465, 559, 560, 561, 564, 565, 659, 660, 661, 664, 665, 753, 755, 756, 757, 758, 759, 762, 763, and 764.
- Graduate Study Rooms (each with four seats and four lockable bins which may be assigned to UMBC enrolled graduate students). These study rooms are unlocked and may be used by others when the graduate students assigned to them are not using them.
- Graduate Study Room numbers are 369, 370, 371, 372, 373, 454, 455, 456, 457, 554, 555, 556, 557, 558, 654, 655, 656, 657, and 658.
- Group Study Rooms (available for a two (2) hour period on a first-come-first-served basis to two (2) or more UMBC faculty, students or staff.)
- Group Study Room numbers are 210, 211, 212, 213, 374, 453, and 458. Room 458 is equipped with a computer, large monitor, and whiteboards on two walls.
Request for Faculty Study Rooms and Graduate Study Rooms is made by filling out an online application available on the library web site.
The Richard Roberts Seminar Room in the Retriever Learning Center can be reserved by UMBC students, faculty and staff at http://library.umbc.edu/RLC/reservations/
Library materials in study rooms: All library materials left in study rooms must be charged out to the user.
Theft: Materials left in study rooms are the responsibility of the user. The Library is not responsible for the loss of personal items nor for the loss of Library materials left in these rooms.
Inspection: Library staff will periodically inspect study rooms and bins without notification of the user.
Windows: Users may not block or even partially cover windows of study rooms.
Squatters: Faculty study rooms and group study rooms are locked and available only to the person who has been assigned the room key and those persons accompanying him/her. The graduate student study rooms are unlocked and available to other users when those assigned to them are not using them. These assigned users may, however, bump others from their assigned seats. If you need assistance in bumping another user, ask at the security desk.
Faculty Study Room & Graduate Study Room Book Bin Keys: Keys for study rooms and book bins are subject to fines for late return of $1.00 per day per key up to a $15.00 maximum fine per key. The fee for a lost key or a key not returned before the first day of the following semester is $50.00. Keys will only be issued to or accepted for return from the assigned patron. No other key transaction will be accepted. The library will not open study rooms or book bins in the case of a forgotten key.
Group Study Room Keys, Markers, and Light Pens: Late fees for these items is $3.00 per hour up to a maximum of $50.00. Lost keys are subject to a fee of $50.00. Lost markers and light pens are subject to a fee of $5.00.
Violations: Should a patron fail to follow the above rules, the following action will be taken:
1st violation - Written warning sent to the patron via email.
2nd violation - Suspension of study room privileges for one semester with written notice sent to the patron via email and postal mail.
3rd violation - Permanent suspension of study room privileges with written notice sent to the patron via email and postal mail.
revised 5/97, revised with web page dated 4/25/08 on 8/12/08, rev. 8/18/09, 9/21/11 MD, 8/20/12 MD,