Faculty & Academic Department Staff Training
The following training is offered at various times throughout the Calendar year. If you are interested in attending a session that is not currently on the training calendar, please contact Susan Dawson (email@example.com) or Beth Oertel (firstname.lastname@example.org) to request that a class be added to the training calendar.
To register for a training session, please go to www.umbc.edu/training, locate the class, click the I will attend check box, scroll to the bottom of the page and click Register Me. Enter your contact information to finalize your enrollment.
Lunch & Learns
This course is designed for faculty and instructors who will be submitting grades for their class(es) for the Fall '09 Term. This lunch & learn is a 45 minute demonstration and discussion of the new online grading features and functionality in Student Administration. The demonstration will walk you through the steps for:
- Accessing Online Grading in SA
- Entering Grades in SA
- Notifying students via the Grade Roster
- Approving the Grade Roster
If you are unable to attend the lunch & learn, please take advantage of the online demonstration located in the Faculty Center of myUMBC. Locate the Teaching Schedule link, and click on the video icon to the right of "manage grade rosters."
Student Administration for New Faculty & Instructors
This class is open to all new faculty and instructors, or anyone interested in learning more about what faculty and instructors can do in Student Administration.
Please bring your lunch and join us for a one (1) hour demonstration that will provide a review of the various tasks that faculty and instructors are expected to perform using Student Administration (SA). The demonstration will include:
- How to view & print your class roster;
- How to use the Advising Center
- How to grant permissions for a class
- How to find help
- Question & Answer session
If you require immediate training on student administration, please log into myUMBC, click Topics, and Faculty Center. Video tutorials and quick reference guides for each task that you can perform in SA can be accessed by clicking on the icons to the right of the task.
Advising & Registration in Student Administration Workshop
Open to all faculty & academic staff.
Do you have advising responsibilities in your department? If so, please join us for a 1 ½ hour demonstration of advising tasks for Summer and Fall 2009 semesters (or terms). Topics that will be covered include:
- Understanding and using the new myUMBC Faculty Center.
- Viewing student records and performing advising clearances.
- Viewing a degree audit report
- Viewing a transfer credit report
- Processing class permissions in SA.
- Viewing class rosters and waitlists in SA.
- Discussing new features available within SA.
Student Registration in SA Workshop
Do you field calls from students during the registration period? Do you have a need to learn understand how a student registers for classes? If so, please join us for a 1 hour demonstration that will cover the new procedures and features of registration in Student Administration from the student's point of view. Topics that will be covered will include:
- Viewing My class schedule
- Searching for a class
- Registering for a class
- Registering for permission classes
- Using the Shopping Cart
- Adding /Dropping a class
- Swapping a class
- Viewing a Degree Audit Report
Orientation Advising & Registration Tools Training
This course is specifically intended for Orientation Advisors that will be working during Summer 2009 Orientation.
This 2-hour training will provide you with hands-on practice generating and interpreting the SA advising reports, searching the schedule of classes and building schedules for both freshmen and transfer students. By the end of this training, you will be able to:
- Locate, generate and interpret advising reports
- Search the Schedule of Classes effectively
- Teach students how to navigate using the new registration tools and register for classes
- Explain enrollment preferences to students
- Advise students as to how to manage their class schedule
- Enter clear and informative advising notes for each student
Class Permissions in SA
Do you need to grant class permissions for Summer or Fall 09 classes? Please join us for a 1 hour hands-on training that will cover how to grant course permissions in Student Administration. By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Grant a student permission to attend a permission only class.
- Grant a student a special permission number to attend a closed class (old class exceptions.)