Student-specific permission-only classes require that you must grant every student who wants to take the class a permission to register for the class. Whether a class is permission-only vs. not permission-only is determined when a class is created for a term. There are several reasons why you might need to grant a student permission to take your class:
- Your class is set up as a student-specific permission only class (no student can register for your class unless you grant them a permission.) - select the Consent Required check box.
- A student does not meet the minimum requirements or prerequisites for your class (select the Requisite Not Met check box.)
- The class is full and is not allowing additional students to register for the class (select the Closed Class check box.)
- A student is an undergraduate and wants to enroll in a graduate level class (select the Career Restriction check box.)
- A combination of the above
The steps below detail the steps for granting permissions for a student-specific permission-only class.
1.Log into myUMBC and click Guide--> Classes & Grades --> Class Permissions.
2. Use the search fields to locate the class for which you need to grant permissions.
3. Once your class opens you must navigate to the correct section of the class where you want to grant permissions (use the arrows on the right of the Class Section Data to scroll through the sections.) Hint: If your class has a lecture and lab (or some other class type), ensure the section you select has the Class Type = Enrollment Section. If it does not, scroll to the correct section with the appropriate Class Type.
4. Locate the Class Permissions Data section of the course. Click once on the Look Up icon to the right of the ID field. The Look Up ID window is displayed.
5. Enter the search criteria for the student, and select Look Up. A list of students who meet your search criteria are displayed at the bottom of the page.
6. Select the student's name from the displayed list. (The student is added to the permission page.)
7. Select the Permission Tab.
8. Select the checkbox(es) that identify why you are giving permission to the student. (Hint: The student will only be able to use the permission based on the reason's you select.)
9. Select the Comments Tab.
10. Enter a comment - we recommend noting who granted the permission.
11. Click Save.
To add additional students, click the Plus ( + ) sign to the right of the student's name. Save any additional changes.