UMBC supports Webex video and audio conferencing giving all faculty, staff and students accounts to host virtual meetings. Any UMBC account holder can schedule meetings and make use of the many advanced tools within the program to share their screen, and collaborate with members of our community. The Webex Education Connector is an integration for Blackboard that allows faculty to schedule Virtual Meetings and create appointment slots for Office Hours with students. It works with Webex Teams and with Webex Meetings, Webex Events, and Webex Training, but requires an additional step (see features table).
Setting up Webex in your Blackboard Course
Check the boxes for the features you want to use.
Feature Purpose Comments Classroom Collaboration Supports Webex Teams. Read more. ↗︎
If you want to use the Classroom Collaboration feature, you must also open an RT ticket to have a Bb system admin authorize the integration for your course. If you attempt to authorize the LMS integration yourself, you will receive an error message.
Virtual Meetings Allow you to schedule a one-time or recurring meetings with your students. The meetings you schedule will appear in your Webex app. No additional authorization is required. Read more. ↗︎ No additional authorization is required unless you want to award points for attending a meeting. Office Hours Provide links for your students to reserve times to meet with you virtually via Webex. You will receive an email notification when an appointment is scheduled. Read more. ↗︎ No additional authorization is required.
- Click the blue Apply button.
- Verify and set the timezone. It is set to Eastern Standard by default.
- Attendance Grading: You can award participation points automatically when they attend a meeting. Your course must be authorized by a Bb system admin to use this feature. You cannot turn off the grading once enabled.
- Reminder Bot will post a message in Webex Teams before a Webex meeting begins. This will also send you and students a reminder email to join the Webex session. Tip: set the Reminder Bot settings to send a reminder at least 30 Minutes prior to the session, as there may be a delay in the email notification. This will ensure that a timely email is sent prior to the start of a scheduled session.
- Analytics will tell you how many meetings have been scheduled.
Resolving Authorization Error Messages
When trying to use Webex integration in Blackboard, you may receive the following error message:
"Your webex authorization has expired. Please reauthorize Webex."
The Webex connection periodically expires and requires reauthorization. The following steps should help resolve this issue:
- Access Webex from your course.
- Click the Virtual Meetings tab.
- Select the LOG OUT icon in the top right corner of the screen.
- Sign back in to UMBC's Webex service.
- After you are signed in, accept the permission request prompt.