A password can be used on a Blackboard test for different reasons:
- You add a password because you want some students to take the assessment before others. You can release the password only to the first group of students. The students who take the assessment later can't preview the assessment before they take it.
- You can add a password for a supervised or proctored assessment. Students show proof of identity, receive the code from the instructor or proctor, and take the assessment in the classroom.
- In an Ultra course, you add an access code to prevent students from submitting assignments or taking the test after the due date.
About Terminology & Usage
In an Original course, you will set a password. In an Ultra course, you will set an access code.
- Passwords for Original tests have a limit of 15 characters and are case sensitive. You cannot apply a password to an Original assignment.
- At this time, access codes for Ultra tests are generated randomly by the system. You can't customize the access codes. Access codes can be assigned to both tests and assignments in an Ultra course.
In both scenarios, you must give the password or access code to students so they can take the test.