Configure your new UMBC Sites webpage in 8 easy steps!
Step 1: Log into your website dashboard
Log in to edit your Sites@UMBC website.
Learn how to log into your Sites@UMBC website dashboard at this help article.
Step 2: Find Theme options
From the Sites dashboard, click on the Options menu under Appearance to access the new administration experience.
Step 3: Add location information (optional)
Add your location information on the first tab and save changes.
Users may leverage up to two address lines.
The suggested format is:
Building Name / Location Name
Floor / Office or Suite Number
Note: If you do not enter any location information, this section will not be shown.
Example of the location admin screen within theme options
Step 4: Add office hours (optional)
Add your office hours on the second tab and save changes.
Users may select from these office hour display options:
- Use the pre-built hour option to control open and closing times each day; or
- Use the override that can be customized for setting hours that are more complicated, or that change during summer (this replaces option a, it does not add to it)
- Do not display hours at all
Note: If you uncheck "Display hours on page", this section will not be shown.
Example of the office hours admin screen within theme options
Step 5: Add contact information
Add your contact information on the fourth tab and save changes.
Users may leverage options for showing:
- phone and fax numbers
- an email address OR a contact page
- links for myUMBC, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn
Example of contact information admin screen within theme options
Step 6: Configure your homepage
From the homepage tab in the options section configure the following items:
- Tell us what page has your homepage content (select that page from the dropdown list)
- Do you want to display the title of your homepage on the page itself?
- Add a slideshow to your homepage (optional)
- Slides can be added from the WordPress menu → Slideshow
- Add a COVID-19 Message (optional)
- Add news and events feeds to show up in the sidebar (optional)
- Save your changes.
Example of Homepage admin screen within theme options
Step 7: Theme color
Select a website theme color on the final tab and save changes.
Users may select from:
Step 8: Evaluate your website and view Analytics
Now you should view your website in the new theme, so type in the URL in a new tab or browser window.
You can also view the analytics for your website by visiting this dashboard or clicking the "Analytics" link from your Sites dashboard.
A few questions to consider:
- How does your homepage look?
- How about your menu?
- Does your new sidebar with location, hours, contact information display as you expected?
- How do your interior pages look?