Position: Senior Instructional Designer
Company: Fairfax University of America
Location: Fairfax, VA.; Candidate must be local – this is intended to be an on-campus position. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the candidate will be permitted to work from home two days a week and will be required to work on campus three days a week. COVID-19 safety guidelines and social distancing will be adhered to.
Description: The FXUA Curriculum Development and Instructional Design Department is growing! We are seeking a Senior Instructional Designer to be responsible for the curriculum development process and facilitate instructional design as a resource to faculty and departments across the university. FXUA is on a mission to redefine higher education and develop the capabilities of transformative leaders. The university’s one-of-a-kind curriculum focuses on not only incorporating and leveraging practical, industry knowledge so that graduates meet the requirements of the world of work, but also applies a research-based approach centered in human development to provide opportunities for transformative learning and leadership. The Senior Instructional Designer will collaborate with and oversee the work of faculty members/subject matter experts in the development of course syllabi. The role serves dual purposes of serving as an instructional design consultant for university faculty and departments, but also to ensure that the university curriculum remains innovative and cutting-edge. The ideal candidate is someone who excels in dynamic and fast-paced environments, has an entrepreneurial spirit, and enjoys making a positive impact via engaging learning experiences. The Senior Instructional Designer will report to the Co-Director of Curriculum Development and Instructional Design.
- Responsible for the curriculum development process, including the development of course syllabi
- Work closely with faculty members/subject matter experts from a wide range of disciplines throughout the entire course design process
- Ensure that all courses and course components are student-centered, enable the intended learning outcomes, as well as meet university values/standards, accessibility requirements, and universal design guidelines
- Apply best practices of Universal Design for Learning to assist faculty in the development of course materials that are accessible to all students
- Apply best practices of constructivism and learning experience design to enhance learning across all major and degree levels
- Develop online courses in the university’s learning management system (LMS)
- Develop both independent micro-credentials, as well as micro-credentials embedded within the university curriculum
- Develop trainings/workshops and resources for faculty to improve instructional practices and course design; create a knowledge repository for faculty to assist with online teaching and learning tools; develop tools and handbooks for new and continuing faculty
- Provide support for faculty in designing and implementing course assessments; assist the academic departments with documenting and improving based upon their programmatic assessment data
- Conduct course quality reviews; provide recommendations for course improvements; promote good practices of teaching and learning with technology
- A master’s degree in education, instructional design, curriculum and instruction, instructional technology, or a related field is required
- At least 5-7 years of experience as an instructional designer or curriculum developer is required
- Extensive knowledge in the application of adult learning theories and innovative instructional design methods
- Experience designing and developing university-level curriculum is preferred
- Experience working closely with faculty members/subject matter experts from a wide range of disciplines throughout the entire course design process
- Experience with course syllabus development is highly valued
- Experience with online learning and/or the development of online courses is highly valued
- Experience working in the Canvas or Blackboard LMS is highly valued
- Experience developing micro-credentials is highly valued
For full description and to apply visit the Fairfax University of America Jobs Posting.