Position: Instructional Designer - Faculty Development
Company: Howard Community College
Location: Columbia, MD
Description: This position requires coming to campus in Columbia, MD at least twice a week for in person engagement. The ideal candidate for this instructional designer position is a creative, self-starter who has designed and developed learning solutions in face-to-face and remote settings for higher education. We are a small, but dynamic team of designers and trainers hoping to add a client-focused, motivated professional to lead memorable, scalable, active professional development sessions and develop impactful, just-in-time training media. This is NOT a position with e-learning. This role focuses primarily on face-to-face instruction.
The incumbent will work independently (primarily remotely but on campus a minimum of two days per week) and as a member of the faculty development team to do the following: design and conduct face to face and remote instruction on best practices in pedagogy and the use of instructional technology tools; design and develop content and learning experiences for a variety of audiences and delivery methods (digital and instructor-led), including step-by-step directions for technology end users; develop media in Articulate Storyline 360 or Adobe Captivate; provide just-in-time support to faculty via chat; help faculty to diagnose/establish/remediate challenges to their instruction, and partner with them to address their goals.
- Assists with the development, presentation and evaluation of innovative, responsive faculty development materials and events with an emphasis on active learning.
- Researches, organizes, creates and presents group and individualized faculty development sessions to support high-quality, current best practices in teaching and learning.
- Applies front end analyses including needs assessment, task analysis, content analysis, learner characteristic assessment, environmental review, and instructional analysis; applies and modifies various instructional design models and instructional systems components to develop thorough instructional and learning systems and environments.
- Designs and provides faculty development activities, in service training and innovations, selection and construction of materials, and instructional uses of new technologies.
- Recommends procedures and assists in developing solutions for effective learning and instruction; explores and evaluates new technologies, materials, and techniques for their applicability to educational uses.
- Coaches faculty on the application of adult learning principles to online, remote and classroom delivery methods, training program design, development, and evaluation.
- Master's degree in Instructional Design/Instructional Technology, Adult Learning, or Teaching with minimum of 1 year on-the-job application with Instructional Design and curriculum development in a Higher Education setting
- Teaching experience in higher education (preferred)
- Adobe Creative Cloud Suite (preferred)
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to multitask under strict deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work independently, both remotely and on-campus, and as a team member
- Extensive experience with Microsoft Office applications and curriculum authoring software
- Prior experience with Learning Management Systems
- Instructional design knowledge and application with the ability to convert this into engaging learning experiences
- Ability to write strategic learning plans for curriculum
- Apply ADDIE principles to meet course goals and/or training objectives
- Design and development experience and experience with designing, developing, and delivering blended learning solutions
- Excellent analytic and evaluation skills
- Keep up with developments in area of expertise by participating in local professional association meetings, reading current journals, books, and magazine articles
- Competent and knowledgeable in the area of distance learning environments (e.g. Canvas and/or Blackboard)
For Additional Information and to Apply Visit Howard Community College Jobs Listing.