For many different reasons, it may be helpful to add teaching assistants, second instructors, or guests into you Blackboard courses. Instructors that are co-listed on the Schedule of Classes will be automatically enrolled into the shell. Otherwise, instructors will need to manually add these users
Blackboard Roles Information
When adding a user to your course, be sure to provision the user with the correct course role:
- Guest Access will allow users to view content only. No access is provided to any tools that leave data footprints such as assessments or discussions. Guest Access must also be configured within the course. See How do I allow guest access to my Original Blackboard course? NOTE: The Guest role is NOT YET supported in Ultra courses.
- TAs will have access to Needs Grading and the grade center while graders can access Needs Grading, but not the grade center.
- Course Builders have access to everything that an Instructor can do except the Grade Center.
Users who are added to a course with the Instructor role by another Instructor can only be removed by a Blackboard system administrator.
ACCESSIBILITY SUPPORT ROLES
There are two custom course roles in Blackboard that are available to support accessibility:
The Accessibility Support course role has the same privileges as a Student, which allow staff from Student Disabilities Services to review course content for accessibility.
An Interpreter also has the same privileges as a Student. This special role is designed to support students with hearing impairments as identified by Student Disabilities Services.
Please consult the Student Disabilities Services office for more information about using these roles.
Attempting to manually enroll or delete students from your course may repopulate them into your shell. If enrollments in your Blackboard shell appear off, please submit a ticket via RT.
- Locate Roster from the menu. Click the link below it.
- Click the + in the top right and click Enroll People
- Enter the name, email, or username of your Teaching Assistant in the search field.
- Click the + beside their name
- Select the appropriate role to add them to the course. Click on Submit.
TIP: Click the video title to enlarge.