- Copy Local Mail to UMBC Webmail Servers
Some users may have mail stored locally on their desktop hard drive. If you have mail stored locally this you should copy this mail up to the mail severs. This will allow our migration scripts to copy all of your mail to Gmail. If you are not sure, don't worry about it, it can be moved to Gmail later.
- Begin the Migration
Click the link above. This launches UMBC's migration script to begin copying your UMBC Webmail email to the new UMBC Gmail environment.
Optional - Change Your UMBC Password
You only need to change your password if you want to access your mail from your phone, tablet or a desktop mail client AND you haven't changed your password since January 1, 2014. If you changed your password after that date, it is already synchronized.
- Configure Your Gmail Web Client - There are a few things you might want to change on your Gmail Web client at gmail.umbc.edu
- Turn OFF Conversation Threading - this provides a more traditional mail interface with mail messages viewed separately, versus threading related messages together.
- It is important that you copy your contacts to Google contacts. Once copied Google makes these contacts available from the cloud to (Mobile devices, Gmail Web Interfaces and the Outlook Mail Client).
- Setup Desktop Mail Client (if desired)Some users may not want to jump right in to using the Gmail Web Interface. Click the link above to see documentation on setting up your client.
- Login to Google at UMBC