New userpages sites are no longer able to be created. If you are creating a website for class or instructional purposes, please use the Student Web Environment.
The following information is retained only for legacy purposes and is out of date.
UMBC provides hosting for personal webpages on userpages.umbc.edu. This environment provides basic PHP support for those that choose to use it.
- You will need an SFTP software client to connect to UMBC's servers to upload your web files. DoIT recommends WinSCP for Windows and FileZilla for OS X.
- Once installed, set up your SFTP software with the following UMBC-specific configuration information:
- Select SFTP (SSH Secure File Transfer) connection
- Server/Remote Host: gl.umbc.edu
- Username: Your UMBC username
- Password: Your UMBC password
- After connecting to UMBC's server, go into the www folder. This is where you will place all of your files.
To make your website viewable, you'll need to run the following command on any GL server:
You can find instructions for how to run the command by following the steps here. Just replace the command in step 5 with the one listed above.
By default, this web address will show a directory listing of files. If you would prefer to show the contents of one of your uploaded HTML or PHP files by default, simply rename that file to index.html or index.php
To remove permissions to this space, in order to remove the ability for people to view your webpage, please run the following command on any GL server:
Rate this Article