You can embed an audio/video recording of your feedback (up to five minutes) in the editor as you grade attempts. The recording option appears in the feedback editor for most graded items in your course. Recordings are not yet supported by rubrics.
The audio and video feedback tool is supported in both Original and Ultra courses.
You can start grading attempts multiple ways, but you must go through the Grade Center to use the recording tool at this time.
- Go to your course's grade center.
- View the Grade Details for an individual student's assignment.
- Select the microphone icon – it is the first icon in the last row of the editor.
- A pop-up window will open. You need to give the browser permission to use audio and video the first time you open the recording window.
- Without the camera enabled, the tool only records audio when you begin. If you want to make a video, select the camera icon on the recording interface to enable your camera.
- When you're ready, select the Record button to begin capturing your audio and video feedback.
- Get ready to record as the tool counts down. Your recording can be up to five minutes long.
- Select Pause recording to stop and resume recording your feedback or select Stop recording to review the recording and save or discard. You can delete the recording and start over if you want to re-record.
Select Save and exit if you're satisfied with the recording and want to share it with the student.
- The system uses the recording time and date for these fields by default, but you can rename the recording.
- TIP: Add alternative text to make it accessible to all users.
- Select Insert recording to finish the process and insert the feedback into the editor.
- Open the student submission. Click on the feedback icon to open the feedback panel.
- Click on the downward triangle next to the add button (+) at the end of the text editor.
- Select Insert/Edit Recording.
- A panel will open.
- If you want to use video, select the camera icon on the recording interface to enable your camera.
- If you only want to use audio, leave the camera disabled and the tool will only record audio.
Set up your microphone and/or camera.
When you are ready to record, select the red record button and watch as the tool counts down.
You can make a recording up to five minutes long.
- Select Pause recording to stop and resume recording your feedback or select Stop recording to review the recording and save or discard.
- You can delete the recording and start over if you want to re-record.
- Review your recording and select Save and exit if you're satisfied and want to share it with the student. The recording is automatically inserted in the editor.
Renaming the Recording
You may rename the recording's display name and add alternative text to make it accessible to all users. The system uses the recording time and date for these fields by default.
- Select the recording in the editor.
- Click Insert/Edit Recording again in the menu.
- Edit the display name and alternative text.
What do students see?
Students can access the recording with grade details and any other feedback you leave. The recordings stream to the student's device and don't require them to download anything. Recordings can be played on most modern browsers without any additional plugins or extensions. Students can't download or save the recordings.
How recording files behave
- When copying a course, recording files and associations are both copied to the new course.
- Recording files are not included in course archives or backups.
- Feedback recordings are unique to each student's submission.
- You can't download, share, or reuse recordings created in the feedback editor.