You can ask students to self-enroll in groups to complete a group assignment. Create as many groups as you want, with any number of students in each group. You can also create new groups or remove groups based on how many you want for this assignment.
- Create the assignment → How do I create an Ultra assignment?
- Click the gear icon to open the assignment settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the settings and select Assign to Groups.
- From the Group students by dropdown menu, choose the Self-enrollment option.
- Identify the number of groups to create. You must create at least TWO groups.
- OPTIONAL: Add an enrollment start and end date. When the enrollment period ends, students can no longer join groups and must ask you to add them.
- Set the maximum number of students per group. The number that appears by default is the upper number in the selection in the Number of groups menu. The optional maximum must be 2 or greater.
- To allow unlimited members per group, leave the maximum number of members per group blank. Students see the maximum number allowed when they make their group selections. If you allow an unlimited number per group, students see the total number of students in their class. For example, if you've set up four field trips, you can allow all students to join all groups.
- To student names of those who've already joined a self-enrolled group, check the box for Hide enrolled members.
- Edit each group name if you want to change the default naming and add group descriptions.
- Click SAVE.
What do students see?
If you want students to join a group assignment, they will need to identify the assignment to self-enroll. In this example, the self-enrollment has an expiration date.
If you want students to just join a self-enroll group, they can click JOIN A GROUP from the Details and Actions menu on the left side of the course:
Some faculty opt to create an announcement or send a message to let students know about the self-enroll group.
When the student opens the group assignment to self-enroll, s/he will see the various groups to select:
Students can switch groups until the enrollment period ends:
Be careful of changes you make after students have started to join groups. If you've created four groups with titles, and then use the menu and change to six groups, your previous groups are removed. Six new groups are created and students are unenrolled.
- Workaround: Change the enrollment dates without the removal of groups and enrollment.