Installing the GlobalProtect Client
*Note: This installation may require a restart. Be sure to save your work before proceeding.
- Pop-up blockers disabled in your browser from https://gpvpn.umbc.edu
Edge, Internet Explorer, and Chrome
- Open a Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, or Chrome Internet browser.
- Type https://gpvpn.umbc.edu into the address bar.
- Enter your myUMBC Username and Password in the appropriate fields and then click Log In. If your account uses two-factor authentication, you will be prompted to select your second factor of authentication.
- Once you are logged in, you will see the Palo Alto GlobalProtect homepage. Click the Download VPN Client Software in the upper right-hand corner next to your user name.
5. Click the appropriate link for the CPU architecture of your Windows computer (i.e. 32 bit or 64 bit).
6a. Microsoft browsers (Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge) will ask what you would like to do with the GlobalProtect msi file. Click Run.
6b. For Chrome, you will see the msi file appear in your downloads tray at the bottom of the web page. Once the msi is finished downloading, you will need to click it to begin the installation process.
7. The Welcome to GlobalProtect Setup Wizard should populate on your screen. Click Next to continue through the prompt.
8. Once you have clicked through the prompt, Microsoft will ask if you would like to allow this app to make changes to your device. Click Yes.
9. Once you have given the app permission to make changes, the installation process will begin.
10. Once complete, you may close the installation prompt and the GlobalProtect client will appear in your bottom right-hand corner requesting a portal address. Enter gpvpn.umbc.edu in this field and then click Connect.
11. A gold GlobalProtect Login window should appear prompting you for your myUMBC credentials. Enter them in the appropriate fields and click Log In. If your account uses two-factor authentication, you will be prompted to select your second factor of authentication.
12. Once you are connected, you should see a GlobalProtect symbol in your system tray with a checkmark.