The sample text below can be used in your course or syllabus. It explains that students must use LockDown Browser for their online tests.
Using LockDown Browser for Online Exams
This course requires the use of LockDown Browser for online exams. Watch this short video to get a basic understanding of LockDown Browser and the optional webcam feature (which may be required for some exams).
Then download and install LockDown Browser from this link:
NOTE: This link is unique for UMBC. It cannot be used by non-UMBC students or for another Blackboard or LMS outside of our campus.
To take an online test, start LockDown Browser and navigate to the exam. (You won't be able to access the exam with a standard web browser.) For additional details on using LockDown Browser, review this FAQ or the Respondus Student Quick Start Guide (PDF).
Finally, when taking an online exam, follow these guidelines:
- Select a location where you won't be interrupted.
- Before starting the test, know how much time is available for it, and that you've allotted sufficient time to complete it.
- Turn off all mobile devices, phones, etc. and don't have them within reach.
- Clear your area of all external materials — books, papers, other computers, or devices.
- Remain at your desk or workstation for the duration of the test.
- LockDown Browser will prevent you from accessing other websites or applications; you will be unable to exit the test until all questions are completed and submitted.
You are also required to use Monitor, which uses a webcam to record you during this online, non-proctored exam. Your computer must have a functioning webcam and microphone. A broadband connection is also required.
After the test starts, you will be prompted to begin the Monitor startup sequence for the webcam.
- The Webcam Check will confirm that your webcam and microphone are working properly.
- The remaining steps of the Startup Sequence will depend on settings chosen by your instructor. Follow the instructions and note your progress along the top of the screen.
- If you encounter a problem, select the "It’s not working" link for troubleshooting tips.
The test will begin after the Startup Sequence is complete. REMEMBER: You cannot exit LockDown Browser until the test is submitted for grading.